Yoni steaming is a holistic approach for supporting the female reproductive organs, including the vagina, cervix and the uterus. This natural remedy has been around for centuries. Only as of recently, the western world has caught on. A yoni steam is also called a v-steam or vaginal steam. In comparison it is similar to that of a facial, only instead this is a steam for your vagina. The herbal steam is said to soften and open pores in vaginal and vulvar skin and tissues, while allowing herbs to be absorbed into the uterus.
An herbal yoni steam has many benefits:
- Reduces pain and discomfort with menstruation; fatigue, anxiety and headaches
- Improves fertility; helpful when trying to conceive
- Improves circulation of blood and lymphatic flow
- Cleanses uterine lining; can eliminate odors
- Regulates menstrual cycle; improves scanty bleeding, irregular periods or even absence of menstruation.
- Speeds healing and recovery of reproductive system after childbirth; aids in restoration of vaginal tears and episiotomies.
- Pre and Post Menopausal symptoms; helps alleviate discomfort, spotted bleeding, hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- Supportive Therapy for some infections; aids with bacterial vaginosis, cervicitis and yeast infections.
- Clears generational trauma and past sexual energies
- Miscarriage healing
Yoni Garden Herbal Steam Ingredients:
Ingredients: Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower, Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) Buds, Motherwort (Leonurus Cardiaca), Mugwort (Artemisia Vulgaris), Red Raspberry (Rubus Idaeus) Leaf, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium)
Explanations of what each herb helps with:
- analgesic (helps relieve pain)
- anti-inflammatory (reduces inflammation)
- anti-microbial (bacterial, fungal and viral)
- anti-spasmodic (helps with menstrual cramps)
- circulatory stimulant (improves blood flow to reproductive organs)
- hemostatic (helps with heavy bleeding)
- nervine (calming to nerves helps heavy cramping & backaches)
- relaxant (helps relax tissues and muscles)
- stimulating emmenagogue (for irregular or absent periods)
- tonic emmenagogue (gives balance to the hormones of the female reproductive system)
- uterine (effects uterus muscle), tonic (helps tone muscles)
- vulnerary (helps heal tissues)
Calendula Flowers/ Calendula Officinalis
anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial (bacterial, fungal, viral), hemostatic, uterine tonic, vulnerary.
Lavender/ Lavandula Angustifolia
analgesic, anti-bacterial, anti-spasmodic, aromatic, relaxant and vulnerary.
Motherwort/ Leonurus Cardiaca
anti-spasmodic, tonic emmenagogue, relaxant and uterine tonic.
Mugwort/ Artemesia Vulgaris
helps with ancestral trauma & any trauma passed down from bloodlines, anti-microbial (bacterial, fungal), anti-spasmodic, circulatory stimulant, relaxing nervine and uterine tonic.
Red Raspberry Leaf/ Rubus Idaeus
anti-inflammatory, tonic emmenagogue, uterine tonic and vulnerary.
Rosemary/ Rosmarinus Officinalis
anti-microbial (bacterial, viral), anti-spasmodic, relaxant and stimulating emmenagogue
Yarrow/ Achillea Millefolium
anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial (bacterial, viral), anti-spasmodic, hemostatic, stimulating emmenagogue.
Items needed for Herbal Steaming
- A large pot
- Distilled water and an Herbal Blend for your Yoni
- Large bowl to steam in
- Large blanket or towel to cover and wrap yourself in
- Quiet and calm room to steam
- Distilled water to stay hydrated during steaming or a bowl of organic fruit
Preparing to Herbal Steam
- Each pouch should contain 30-40 grams of herbs per steam.
- Add 1 liter of distilled water and 1/3 cup of herbs to a pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer and steep 15 minutes with the lid on. Then remove the lid.
- DO NOT use steaming HOT water. Test temperature. You want steam but do not use scorching HOT water.
- Optional- keep herbs in the hot water or strain them out (personal preference). DO NOT use any essential oils. They are much too harsh for vaginal tissues.
- Then, transfer to a large stainless-steel bowl or any large pot over a toilet or in your constructed position. Remember heat and plastic are not a good option due to toxins from plastic leaching.
- Disrobe or undress from the waist down and wrap yourself with a large blanket or towel to keep the steam contained. It is recommended to keep your feet warm by either wearing socks or slippers.
- Sit for about 20-25 minutes. You can journal, meditate, read a book but enjoy the warmth and relax taking deep breaths. Be sure to stay hydrated with some room temperature distilled water or fresh fruit.
- After steaming, you may compost the herbs and discard the water. Relax and lay down for about 1 hour wrapped in your favorite blanket or a skirt to allow your yoni to air dry and continue to hydrate yourself.
- Cramping is normal a few hours later, even 1-2 days after your steaming. Uterine contractions are assisting or regulating or releasing process. You may also see discharge or blood that is released either in your steaming water or a few hours to days after, which is usually residual. If it’s extreme or continues call your medical doctor for further observation it could be caused by something else.
- Herbal Yoni Steams can be performed 1-2 times monthly.
- 1 pouch contains enough for 3 Yoni Steaming Sessions
DO NOT STEAM:
- if you are pregnant or if you think you might be pregnant.
- if you are receiving fertility treatments or hormonal injections or if you’ve had a tubal litigation as it may be compromised.
- if you are currently menstruating and on your cycle. Steaming the day after your last day on your cycle can help rid any remaining blood. Steaming the week prior to your period can aid in relief of cramps and other menstrual effects. If you are one of many that is prone to heavy bleeding, it is recommended to hold off on steaming until you get your cycle regulated. Steaming increases circulation to the pelvis, which could possibly result in an increase in bleeding.
- if you have any open sores or blisters.
- if you have a piercing that cannot be removed. If it can be removed, remove the piercing prior to steaming to avoid any burns.
- if you have recently had a wax treatment or laser hair removal. It is recommended to wait at least 4 days after waxing and 2 weeks after laser hair removal.
- with essential oils, they are much too harsh for vaginal tissue.
- if you have an IUD. Reason being is that the medicinal herbs could contract the uterus, which can cause the IUD to shift or cause other problems with the placement of the IUD. Speak with your practitioner as to whether or not it would be a good option or not for you.
DO NOT CONTINUE TO STEAM IF: you start feeling unwell, lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous, intense headache or shortness of breath. If your body is telling you something is not right, listen to it. It may be helpful to consume some room temperature water or fruit to help with hydration and then lay down.
I am not a doctor nor am I giving any medical advice. My website is only for educational purposes only and should not be considered as treatment, cure or a diagnosis for any condition. Always consult your naturopathic doctor, herbalist or general practitioner and always do your own independent research.